Thursday, January 5, 2012

D's first day of school

Today we did another first in Dominic's life... we picked up his brothers from school.  So, this may not seem like a big deal, but for us it is another step towards normalicy.  The very act of loading him with all of his equipment is daunting, add that to breaking down his wheelchair (which is no easy task by the way) and feeding him in the car... you might as well just stay at home.  But, Iam determined to give him as normal of a life as possible, so these little outings are just going to have to happen.  Now don't get me wrong... this will NOT be an everday thing, but at least I know we CAN do it!  (By the way have I menioned my amazing family who normally does the dropping off and picking up,  whom without I would surely loose my mind?)

But today was made extra special by our dear friend, Father Pio Maria, who came for a visit and wanted to suprise the boys by coming with us to pick them up from school.  What a sight we were at the pick up spot at the elementay school!  It's not eveyday that you see a baby in a wheelhair with tubes coming out of his neck esorted by a Francician Friar!  I'm sure we'll be the talk of the PTA tomorrow! Ha!

One closer step to making our lives normal.  Now, for me to practice breaking the wheelchair down so it doesn't take 10 minutes to get it in the back of the van next time...

Fr. Pio Maria with the kids on the way to pick Anthony up

2 comments:

  1. way to go short family

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about you chas. I saw this spirit in you at track practices...no doubt you are making life work regardless. Love the pick up crew!!! No doubt Anthony did too!

    ReplyDelete